The holidays came and went. All of the shopping, cooking, baking, worrying is over with. Tyler had a great Christmas. Santa was very good to him! As the new year approaches I’m thinking back on the past year and looking forward to all of the good things 2014 will bring.
Wishing everyone happy holidays and a great 2014!
I was a senior in high school in 1999 when the Columbine shooting happened. Shortly after there were threats at our high school and even though I was a carefree “it won’t happen to me” mentality teenager it was still scary. Fast forward to December 14, 2012. I was a mother of an 11 month old, getting ready for his first Christmas and his first Birthday. I saw on Facebook about a shooting at a school in Newtown. Sent it on to my friend who sits in front of me at work. Newtown is not too far from us. As the details rolled in I felt sicker, and sicker, and sicker. An elementary school, first graders, innocent victims. I was brought back to being a first grader and couldn’t even imagine the fear those children and teachers faced. I remember listening to the radio on my way to pick up my son and just crying, not being able to wrap my head around what had happened. Days after it was hard to watch the news because hearing the stories about the heroic teachers and seeing the faces of those innocent babies was too hard for me. I just can’t imagine how toes parents and families felt. I didn’t even want to try to imagine. It was too hard.
1 year later and it’s equally difficult to understand why someone would want to hurt them. Schools now practice drills in case something like this happens again. Things have changed so much in one year. I still have not driven by the school. I never felt I could be strong enough to do it. All I can do is help their memories alive by random acts of kindness. Next time you’re getting a cup of coffee pay for the person behind you in memory of those 26 angels.
I’ve noticed (and participated in) posts on Facebook with a certain number of facts about the person. I accidentally liked someone’s status and got the number 6. But 6 isn’t a big enough number so here I will include 20 facts about me.
1. I can understand and speak Spanish pretty well. I speak it fluently when I’m drunk.
2. Sarcasm is my second language.
3. Some see me as outgoing but I’m really shy. I think it’s a coping mechanism or something.
4. I almost dropped out of high school.
5. I still don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.
6. I’ve only grown an inch and a half since I was 13. I’m 5’3.
7. I’ve struggled with weight issues my whole life. If I could only go back to my teenage years and tell myself that I’m not fat…
8. I’ve never been on a Ferris wheel or roller coaster.
9. My all time favorite tv show is Friends. I think I’m the female version of Chandler minus the third nipple.
10. I’ve only seen 3 Brad Pitt movies because I hate him. Team Aniston!
11. I was engaged for almost 7 years before we got married.
12. I knew as soon as I peed on the stick that I was pregnant and having a boy.
13. I’m half Italian and half mutt. No one has really given me a straight answer about what the other half of me is.
14. I’ve had the same cell phone number since I got my first cell phone in 1998.
15. I like to name my cars. My first car was named Leondaro. My current car is named Betty White.
16. I can’t watch scary movies at night. When I’m forced to I drink coffee so I will stay awake and not fall asleep and have bad dreams.
17. I think I’m a little psychic. I have vivid dreams that turn into reality.
18. I’ve wanted a Basset Hound since I watched the tv show Our House. That’s why we got Brutus (our 6 year old Basset Hound).
19. I’m the youngest of 3. My brother and sister are twins and 19 months older than me. Needless to say my parents are divorced.
20. I want to be famous. Haha who doesn’t?
Yesterday was a typical Saturday night. Pat was working, and I put Tyler down around 8 as usual. Flipped through the channels and found Fast & the Furious on Bravo. Shortly after it started Pat joined me and we had an in depth conversation about the next movie to come out. Then I got the text that Paul Walker died in a car crash. Wow. Shocked is an understatement. Paul Walker was on my “list”. I think he was actually the only one on it. If you’re not sure what I mean by my “list” click here. I’ve sat through every movie he’s been in (good and bad!) and followed him on social networks. Followed, not stalked I swear! I feel terrible for his family and friends, and I hope they find peace in knowing he passed doing what he loved. Any who, I guess this just reminds you that life is way too short. Never go to bed mad, count each day as a blessing because tomorrow is not guaranteed! Holding Pat and Tyler a little closer today.