In my 33 years of life I’ve been to several funerals. Young or old losing someone is never easy. We lost my Grandfather this past Wednesday. He was 92 years old. He was the center of our family and we will all miss him so much. He was born in Potenza, Italy and came through Ellis Island when he was eight years old. He didn’t talk much about his past but the few things I knew was that he served in World War II and was on Omaha Beach on D-Day. He never really spoke about it although I know it’s a big part of who he was. He was a hero that day and a hero to our family. He always made sure we were ok. He always put us first. He cared for my Grandmother until the day she died and wore his wedding band until the day he died. I can only hope to be in love for as long as they were. Don’t get me wrong, they were both stubborn Italians and had tempers but we could always see the love they had for each other. I’m extremely fortunate that I’ve had him in my life, and that my son had a chance to meet him. I’ll always remember his smile.
I’ve noticed (and participated in) posts on Facebook with a certain number of facts about the person. I accidentally liked someone’s status and got the number 6. But 6 isn’t a big enough number so here I will include 20 facts about me.
1. I can understand and speak Spanish pretty well. I speak it fluently when I’m drunk.
2. Sarcasm is my second language.
3. Some see me as outgoing but I’m really shy. I think it’s a coping mechanism or something.
4. I almost dropped out of high school.
5. I still don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.
6. I’ve only grown an inch and a half since I was 13. I’m 5’3.
7. I’ve struggled with weight issues my whole life. If I could only go back to my teenage years and tell myself that I’m not fat…
8. I’ve never been on a Ferris wheel or roller coaster.
9. My all time favorite tv show is Friends. I think I’m the female version of Chandler minus the third nipple.
10. I’ve only seen 3 Brad Pitt movies because I hate him. Team Aniston!
11. I was engaged for almost 7 years before we got married.
12. I knew as soon as I peed on the stick that I was pregnant and having a boy.
13. I’m half Italian and half mutt. No one has really given me a straight answer about what the other half of me is.
14. I’ve had the same cell phone number since I got my first cell phone in 1998.
15. I like to name my cars. My first car was named Leondaro. My current car is named Betty White.
16. I can’t watch scary movies at night. When I’m forced to I drink coffee so I will stay awake and not fall asleep and have bad dreams.
17. I think I’m a little psychic. I have vivid dreams that turn into reality.
18. I’ve wanted a Basset Hound since I watched the tv show Our House. That’s why we got Brutus (our 6 year old Basset Hound).
19. I’m the youngest of 3. My brother and sister are twins and 19 months older than me. Needless to say my parents are divorced.
20. I want to be famous. Haha who doesn’t?