Baby Alexa made her grand entrance on April 30th at exactly 2:00 pm weighing 4 lbs 6.2 ounces and 18 1/4 inches tall. At 32 weeks I was diagnosed with preeclampsia. I had been sent to the hospital twice before with blood pressures that were so high they contemplated inducing me. I was 36 weeks pregnant when my doctor decided it was time. I was sad because I really wanted a May baby! My doctor told me diamonds are better than emeralds referring to birthstones. And I think she’s right!
Alexa is a perfect little peanut. She cried immediately and the doctor and nurses commented on her head of hair! She immediately went to the NICU because she was too small to stay with me. Her and I spent 5 days in the hospita and she stayed in the NICU the whole time. I think her being there helped me recover faster. I was determined to be with her as much as possible which was difficult for the first 24 hours. Being on magnesium sulfate after delivery meant I had to have a nurse with me when I entered the NICU. So I only got to see her twice in her first 24 hours of life. It was awful. But my husband became my lifeline to her. I would pump drops of colostrum and he would bring it down in a syringe and feed it to her. He made sure he sent me pictures of her while he was down there and I’d cry because I wasn’t. Once I was off the magnesium I was by her side feeding her the pumped milk and trying to breast feed her. Since she was so tiny she had latching problems. Four weeks later and we are making huge progress breast feeding. I no longer have to pump every 3 hours because she is latching with the help of a nipple shield. She has gained over a pound and is turning into a chunky little girl. She is the perfect addition to our family and I’m so happy she’s here. And Tyler loves her too! We can’t wait to watch her grow and to see how these two crazy kids are growing up together!
Oh, I guess I neglected to mention that I’m pregnant!!! 31 weeks pregnant with a baby girl! It’s crazy to believe that our little man (who just turned 3!) is going to be a big brother. He’s probably more excited … Continue reading →
Tomorrow my itty bitty baby boy turns two. I will never forget the day he was born even though I was on A LOT of drugs due to preeclampsia. I was induced at 37 weeks and due to complications of the induction I was rushed into the operating room for an emergency c-section. I never prayed so hard in my life. At 7:43 pm they began and at 7:44 he was born! My first vision was him peeing on the pediatrician. He was a tiny little guy, 6 pounds 9.3 ounces and 19 inches long. Funny how I can’t remember my license plate number but those numbers I will always remember. This past year has been a ton more firsts. He walked at 16 months, talks up a storm, and has turned into the sweetest little boy. We have so much fun together even if we’re just sitting around playing with his toys. I won’t lie, I don’t want him to grow up. I know eventually my name will change from “mama” to “mommy” and then to “mom”. I know there will come a time when he tells me “you don’t understand mom” or “you’re so unfair”. But for now, he’s still my little boy, and no matter how many candles on his cake he’ll always be my baby.
I’ve noticed (and participated in) posts on Facebook with a certain number of facts about the person. I accidentally liked someone’s status and got the number 6. But 6 isn’t a big enough number so here I will include 20 facts about me.
1. I can understand and speak Spanish pretty well. I speak it fluently when I’m drunk.
2. Sarcasm is my second language.
3. Some see me as outgoing but I’m really shy. I think it’s a coping mechanism or something.
4. I almost dropped out of high school.
5. I still don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.
6. I’ve only grown an inch and a half since I was 13. I’m 5’3.
7. I’ve struggled with weight issues my whole life. If I could only go back to my teenage years and tell myself that I’m not fat…
8. I’ve never been on a Ferris wheel or roller coaster.
9. My all time favorite tv show is Friends. I think I’m the female version of Chandler minus the third nipple.
10. I’ve only seen 3 Brad Pitt movies because I hate him. Team Aniston!
11. I was engaged for almost 7 years before we got married.
12. I knew as soon as I peed on the stick that I was pregnant and having a boy.
13. I’m half Italian and half mutt. No one has really given me a straight answer about what the other half of me is.
14. I’ve had the same cell phone number since I got my first cell phone in 1998.
15. I like to name my cars. My first car was named Leondaro. My current car is named Betty White.
16. I can’t watch scary movies at night. When I’m forced to I drink coffee so I will stay awake and not fall asleep and have bad dreams.
17. I think I’m a little psychic. I have vivid dreams that turn into reality.
18. I’ve wanted a Basset Hound since I watched the tv show Our House. That’s why we got Brutus (our 6 year old Basset Hound).
19. I’m the youngest of 3. My brother and sister are twins and 19 months older than me. Needless to say my parents are divorced.
20. I want to be famous. Haha who doesn’t?